Background

Hi. Hey. Hello.


Last weekend, Chance and I had a wedding to attend. Chance was in the wedding so we had to attend the rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, get there early for the wedding, etc, etc.


Since I'm obviously not from Jacksonville, every time I go down for a visit, I'm always meeting new people. There's never going to be one trip when I meet everyone that Chance knows. He knows a lot of peeps! Anyway, the wedding he was in wasn't with people he hangs out with regularly but the groom was an old friend of his that asked Chance to be in the wedding. To make a long story short, I'd never met any of these people.

At the rehearsal/rehearsal dinner, I felt awkward because I literally knew no one but my man. I mean, how do you handle that situation, "Uhhh, what's up guys...just crashin' your rehearsal and thanks for the free food?!?". I understand that weddings are hectic and everyone is trying to figure out each detail the night before, so I didn't take offense that no one was really paying me any attention. I mean, I wasn't like the ultimate honored guest whose presence was vital. Of course my man made me feel like a princess by making me feel like I was the only gal in the room, so that was sweet. At the end of the night, I was a little aggravated at certain things and the fact that it wasn't a very welcoming environment. But, I quickly got over it and over myself.

The next day, wedding day, Chance and I headed out early because, as a groomsman, he had to do the wedding party-get ready-let's take a million pictures-thing. So, I dropped him off and went on a little shopping adventure by myself. Thank Jesus for GPS! I'm not known to know my way around even Greenville. While I was out on the town, waiting for the wedding to start, I was dreading going because I knew I'd feel awkward and not have anyone to talk to. Since Chance was in the wedding, I'd look like a big ole' loser just chillin' by myself in the audience.

But things took a turn...

While I was standing around, by myself, at the venue...waiting for the wedding to start, a sweet little lady about my age, began walking towards me with a big ole' smile on her face. She came up to me and said, "Are you Chance's girlfriend?! My husband and I recognize you from Facebook pictures!" Oh praise Jesus for Facebook! Of course I told her yes and we struck up a conversation. She led me back to the group of people she and her husband were with and asked me if I'd like to sit with them at the wedding. So, I did. I sat with them during the wedding and they reserved a spot for me at their reception table. How tender. It literally changed my entire outlook on the evening.

I know I've been blabbing on about myself but Jesus really taught me something that night. If you ever see someone just standing alone in a crowd, reach out and speak to them, whether you know them or not. You never know how out of place a person feels so make an effort to speak. I admit I'm not great at doing this but since it was done to me, I can not ignore it if I see it now that the kindness has been given to me. So, if you see someone standing by themselves, at least make an effort to say Hi, Hey, or Hello. :)

Leave A Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Search